Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Shiva statuette

An inability to grasp navigation

through a web of narrow alleyways

stimulating the senses

The sights colorful and frenzied with movement

in a range of rapid and stifling paces

People sitting in cubbyholes packed full of items for our every need…

Soap, sweets, thali, silk shawls, sarees, etc.

Massive cows stopping to gnaw on piles of garbage

oblivious that they fill 2/3 of the passageway…causing traffic jams

The sounds various and sweet

jingling bells of the cycle rickshaws

jockeying for the best lane of traffic.

Lane? What lane? Into the masses

the chaos that has a system beyond the western comprehension

Chanting, singing, music blasting from broken speakers

“Namaste, madame! Where you go?”

“you want boat?”

The light at the end of the tunnel comes to me at the top a tall set of stairs

the ghat

Descending into the bright sun toward the conduit of transformation

The Ganges

Holy mother Ganga

The power in the water

constantly flowing

taking with it impurities

old ways

blockages

Leaving in its wrath

possibilities

forward movement

cleansing

Varanasi is one of the more powerful places I have traveled to.

The Ganges is a river that beckons those who seek transformation.

Drinking the water

Swimming

Bathing

Blessing a wedding…or a newborn baby

Cremation of those who have passed

Drifting upon the calm current

…ones who embrace a puja here leave behind blockages.

The longer I stay the more it transforms me

As soon as I feel that I know my way

I am lost

As soon as I feel that I have seen all there is to see

I make discoveries

As soon as I have a network of friends

Our paths shift

As soon as I need space

I am grounded

As soon as I am lonely

I am surrounded by friends

As soon as I feel insecure and ugly

A mirror appears with a reflection of

beauty

The cycles of the moon at this time have ushered incredible shifts of forward movement and progress toward potential.

Coinciding all at once have been the Hindu celebration of Shivaratri, the new moon in Pisces and my own personal moon cycle.

Emotions and sensitivity have been heightened

I have awareness of my personal barriers. It is my own insecurities that thwart the possibilities of my desires and the needs of which I have no knowledge.

I threw these insecurities into the temple flames on the playa. From there I have begun the battle.

It is now that I face these insecurities and challenge them.

I will have comfort in the moment

Knowing that what I need will be

Present

In the present

I can’t know what I need

And it is when I understand this unknown

I am free

I have enjoyed so much the friendships made in Varanasi. The connections to the other travelers, those blessed to call this city their home and the zoo of animals that roam freely in the alleys and ghats.

I love you cows, baby goats, the 7 adult geese who spend every moment vigilantly watching over a single chick, the monkeys who use the tall buildings as their vertical playground, the saddhus, the children, the people…

I visited an Indian astrologer who gave me a reading of my present life and my past life. I recorded it on a minidisk so I can revisit the words later.

My greatest heartbreak I have carried consistently through my adult life was clearly explained to me by the behavior of my past life. The karma of this past self is facing the music now. The reading was incredibly eye opening and I would be happy to share some details but do not feel comfortable doing so on this wide forum of communication.

Here’s one tidbit though…and this is for you, Mom:

I will have one child only and this baby will come in 2-3 years.

Hmmm

?

Countless times I have been told how brave it is for me to travel how I do

and where I go

I hear of fear, disinterest and insecurity in venturing abroad.

I would like to show you the other side of the coin.

I feel completely at home in my foreign wanderings. But the fears that I have are ones that I see most who I know and love conquering regularly

with ease

and little hesitation.

My fear is relationships

There it is

So while I, a single female, wander alone in dark alleys across the globe, hearing only foreign languages and new stimulation

You develop and nurture friendships

And love

And family

That last beyond a week.

The other side of the coin

Fears

Insecurities

Barriers

A stone statuette of Shiva now sits beside the tiny crystals I brought with me from Portland: clear crystals carrying the shine from my life at home.

In this time of the Pisces moon…the emotional destroyer of barriers

The Shivaratri…celebration of transformation

I embrace my possibilities.

Last night I placed a wreath of red flowers around the mirror behind my altar.

Red flowers I had presumed to be dead.

I awoke this morning

Looking into the mirror

Surrounded by open vibrant blossoms

my photos of Varanasi

No comments: