Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The fog has lifted

Well, now that I am in New Delhi, safe and sound, I see clearly that I was not meant to be in Nepal. As soon as I landed I felt a peace wash over me. I can’t explain it other than the energy of this country resonates with me…despite Nepal being a cleaner and “easier” place to travel.

I decided to go directly from the airport to a clinic to have myself checked out. It was day 6 of the misery of flu symptoms and I was ready to alleviate all my fears of having contracted chicken flu, typhoid fever, malaria or pneumonia. Upon arrival to the hospital I noticed there was some cancer conference going on and since I didn’t see my condition as an emergency I wandered directly into the thick of it. I felt like a real ass…a white chick walking around weakly with a backpack on me the size of a small child. The admittance desk looked puzzled and asked what I wanted. I had to explain that I was sick and needed a doctor. He continued to look confused and at this point I was about to cry because I felt really helpless.

Eventually I was whisked to the emergency room where I went through the same baffled inquisition. Eventually I was told the same dang thing the pharmacist in Nepal told me. 200 rupees later (~$4) I departed with a list of items to purchase at the pharmacy and climbed into another taxi.

The taxi, by the way, was more expensive than my emergency room check up.

Not too inspired to pump myself up with western medicines, since I’ve had success thus far with the widely and cheaply available ayurvedics, I postponed taking any drugs. However, this morning on my stroll to make a train reservation for my next destination I found myself blending right into the local masses by hacking up big fat loogies and spitting them with deft so as not to hit others walking nearby. Plus I was still quite weak and it was a big effort just to get down the street to the railway reservation office.

400 rupees later, an antibiotic, expectorant (uh, like I need this?), a pain reliever and an anti-allergen later I have mustered the energy to get out and give y’all an update. Perhaps I may actually take in some solid food? Thankfully there is fresh squeezed juice readily available everywhere here but the way my pants are sagging I think it’d be a good idea to eat some real food. Another motivation to get out may be the really crap English programming available in my hotel room TV. (if you tell me you think “Joe vs. the Volcano” is good entertainment, well…uh…you’re crazy. And, yes, I watched the entire thing including commercials).

Some of you may have heard about the recent explosions in Varanasi.

Wow

It has me a bit spooked for sure…

For one reason because I arrived via the train station that was one bombing location…and I actually visited that temple that was the other. The temple is NOT a tourist attraction but I chose to go because there are lots of monkeys running around that would be cute to look at and photograph. …and then there was also the cute Swede, Ulf, who asked if I wanted to join him to check it out. Anyway…

There are a total of 20 fatalities thus far and I am curious as to how many monkeys were injured??

Appreciative of the concerns, I stay on my toes and am wary for my security

while having fun and continuing my journey.

I’m off tonight

I am so uplifted

The fever has broke

My energy returning

My gloom from the past week seems unreal

How could I have been that low?

I feel so far from that now

The future is so bright

And

Just so you know

There is always that upswing around the bend

G l o w

p.s. here is my horoscope for today:

virgo march 8

Though you may have been feeling less than yourself for the past few days, Meredith, today it may seem as if you're finally getting your energy back. For the first time in a while you may feel like going for a run, a bike, or a workout. Take advantage of it! The more you exercise, the more energy you have, so this could be the beginning of a whole new cycle of physical development.

No comments: