Thursday, April 17, 2008

perfect


In a word, that is what describes my 11 days in Rishikesh.

My experience and reaction to Rishikesh is completely different from my visit there 5 years ago. And because of this I had very little expectations other than being able to spend some time in a place that is more fresh in my experiences than other spots in India I continue to revisit year after year. An experience is a direct reflection of where a person is at in emotions and mindset. Rishikesh, in the passing years, has had only a few minor changes that has made it perfect for where I am at right now.

It combines every element of travel in India that I enjoy. Now that’s a tall order for a seasoned India traveler like me.

First of all, Rishikesh is a holy destination for Hindu pilgrims and all kinds of Indian nationals. My guesthouse was just outside the tall temple with several floors high…each story welcoming the visitors and spiritual people who continue to climb while ringing each bell to send their prayers forward. I enjoyed a chai amongst the Indian visitors while watching the families leave their shoes behind and embark on the upward climb to the top of the temple. Crossing the jhula (footbridge) I enter an area of dhabas (Indian restaurants) to enjoy thalis. Now that I can read Hindi I see so many more options of what I can order as I read the selection painted on the wall.

So here I get my India fix…the authentic interaction with the Indian people and culture.

But that’s not enough; I need to interact with other travelers as well. And Rishikesh has plenty of venues to satisfy my need for this. A day could easily be spent hopping from one riverside café for an espresso to another garden setting lounging on cushions under a shady tree watching the raft boats drift by on the Ganges…as I drink a fresh squeezed strawberry & banana juice. The setting of most of the cafes is perfect…no segregating tables. Low tables surrounded by cushions and pillows giving the environment that all here are together rather than in separated groups. This is PERFECT for meeting people! I really wish more restaurants at home would get on this tip…an environment where people can meet and there is no “them and us”…we’re altogether.

A bonus to this aspect of Rishikesh, I must add, is the amount of travelers I feel akin to…like-minded and similar style and approach to traveling. Ok, and then there’s one other thing…there are a huge percentage of them that are beautiful men. He he.

But wait, there’s more!

Rishikesh has got some of the most lovely nature walks! The Ganges flows cleanly from the mountain’s ice melt. The spring has arrived and the bright green sprouts from branches and flows bring colors spotting the landscape. Wandering just a few minutes north outside my guesthouse door, walking alongside the Ganges, I immersed in the natural forces of fresh air, monkeys, waterfalls, forests and beauty. Taking walks into the nature was revitalizing and provided moments where in my present moment, taking it all in; I had full appreciation of happiness in my present moment.

And then the icing on the cake was my guesthouse.

Also my home 5 years ago, it remained consistent as an interesting, fun and bonding place for a collection of solo travelers from around the world. None of the rooms had attached bathrooms and all rooms opened up to a courtyard where the communal bathrooms are. So when chillin outside our rooms, it felt exactly like we all shared this big house together. Everyone knew everybody there and during the down times of the day we sat together making music, making conversation and recounting our day or hopeful visions of our futures.

~ * ~

Earlier in my trip I struggled with my shyness and overanalyzing my ability to meet people and initiate conversations. Somehow, after 4 months in India this issue seems to have disappeared. The Rishikesh environment and dynamics helped usher in a smooth confidence. When I say “confidence” I don’t mean self assurance or thinking that my shit don’t stank. After a few days in Rishikesh I would leave a café and realize that my weird social anxiety is gone and my social flow is…smooth. Smooth, meaning, there is no premeditated thought, for example, thinking to myself “I will talk to those people over there because they look nice and receptive. Ok….GO!”

No…I just sat near people and just started to chat. And it was easy. And I was rewarded every time with amazing and nice and interesting people. And the longer I stayed in Rishikesh the larger my friendship circle expanded. Life like this is easy and fun and AWESOME! So now I step back and am present in my acknowledgement of this smooth social flow. But I also examine this in comparison to my life at home…and it makes me wonder. Here I am traveling with people I will most likely not see again (and if so I will see them next year for about a week or so only). These people are not intimidating to me and I realize there is no “risk” of initiating because the chance of a long term friendship is pretty small. And reflecting on how I flow in Portland, I see myself as such a social spaz… I freeze up, I clam up, I disappear and reappear and I hold a solid exterior to protect myself. So what I realize now is that I need to claim this smooth approach that I am gleaning over here in India and apply it at home.

That is my goal…to stay fresh and unaffected by intimidation and fear…and flow to the friendships that surround me in Portland. This fear of mine to protect myself from being hurt is clearly preventing the potential depth of friendships at home.

So that, my friends is my goal from this day forward: To eliminate doubt, intimidation and fear in my interactions with people…with friends.

~ * ~

It was tough to leave Rishikesh but I realized that my onward movement compels me. So here I sit in New Delhi. Today I took a taxi to the “All American Diner”, a kitschy, very authentic knock-off on an American 50’s old style diner. After 4 months in India, I cannot describe the satisfaction of having American style pancakes with real maple syrup, BACON and real coffee! Oh my, oh my! I almost did a happy dance to the Elvis playing on the jukebox. That was the perfect fix for me as I begin to focus forward a bit to my journey back to the USA in 2 weeks.

On an interesting note:

My taxi ride back from the diner to where I stay in Pahar Ganj went by police blockades, 100s of policemen in riot gear, ~20 satellite television trucks, a mass of TV cameras…and not much else. Later, over a cup of coffee, I read the paper and realized that today is the day the Olympic torch is run through New Delhi and there are massive protests planned by Tibetans who don’t endorse the Olympic Games being held in the oppressive country of China. So things could get pretty interesting later today…in fact, they are running the torch now as I type this.

But anyway I should remain free of any conflict because tomorrow I head back up to the north for one final week+ of my India trip. Part of my attention is looking forward, knowing that the ever-looming month end will bring my departure from this chapter to another fresh start in Portland. My home.

Despite this anticipation I hope to stay focused on being present, however, so I can put my energy towards my final week+ here in India, which I feel will be the cherry on the cake.

But who knows?

J

Rishikesh photos http://flickr.com/photos/meredith415/sets/72157604428599785/

Yes…all 260 of them.

Oh yeah, and here are photos from last visit to New Delhi: http://flickr.com/photos/meredith415/sets/72157604380629132/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pictures meredith! see you soon in portland.