Monday, April 30, 2007

just what I kneaded


There’s something about Bhagsu that draws me to its fresh air, views, steep slopes and backpacker hangouts to finish most of my visits to India. It’s mostly because all those qualities get me into a relaxed state that helps balance all the stimulation collected from throughout the most of elsewhere in India. And now I’m looking toward my near future shift in locations which is in Portland, Oregon.

In this visit to the mountains of Himachal Pradesh I became involved in Ayurvedics.
As of this week I have a certification in basic Ayurvedic massage!
In the past have always liked trading massages with friends but have felt unsure of exactly what to do with my hands. So taking the class has given me direction of how to not only help relax someone with a productive touch but I can also release toxins and blocked meridian points.
I admit that I decided to take this class was not only for a massage lesson but firstly was an ice breaker for me.
Bhagsu and neighboring Mcleod Ganj’s buildings are covered with fliers with information about classes on: Buddhism, Indian and Tibetan cooking classes, meditation, yoga and so on.
But this time in Bhagsu a massage class was perfect. I realize I need to overcome my reserved and shy nature and tried bucking this by using physical touch with strangers. It was a good experience for me!
(Although I still have a long way to go from being reserved and shy).

Fresh on the heels of my Ayurvedic education, I felt curious about Panchakarma; an Ayurvedic body detox program. Ayurveda philosophy links the body and emotions as aligned, so that when physical problems appear in one’s body, they are a manifestation of emotional imbalance. And vice versa.
The program was 10 days of a very restricted (and boring) diet, a daily Ayurvedic massage and flushing the body of all pent up toxins. The end result is a lighter and happier self with a healthier body.
Now that my 10 days are up, I can attest that I do feel more at peace with issues that normally agitate me. In addition I’ve been approached by many friends who’ve commented that I look great lately.
So…yay!
One thing I should mention however is that the therapy is no walk in the park. The massages are deep tissue massages that were incredibly painful and left me with bruises.
…and the flushing of the toxins?
Well, let’s just say that my “primo” location room next to where all the backpackers hang out became not so ideal. I had no attached bathroom and during the peak of my therapy I was watched by ~20 people as I ran from my room across the yard to the toilet every 30 minutes with a roll of flailing toilet paper. That last flapping square of tissue was like a flag waving to everyone: “yes, this chick has got the runs”.




Other than Ayurvedics I made some truly sweet friendships here.
You know…when you have no cares in the world and you’re sharing fresh air, stars, nice music and amazing conversations with kindred souls?


Now I’m weaning myself slowly from the chilled out bliss I find in Bhagsu.
Here in Delhi I can actually answer the question “how much more time in India?” instead of with weeks and months…now with hours.

Yep, one day to go—24 hours from now I’ll be idle and wandering around the airport.

I’m ready though.

The past trips to India for me have ended with me feeling a true sense of ending. Professionally I either had nothing to return to or I did have a job waiting for me, but my most important passions were not synched with.
This time leaving India is just the end of one chapter of my cycle. What I have ahead of me and waiting at home is truly exciting. I have been getting so jacked this whole trip as I have collected and collaborated with creative Indian and foreign people from around the world. With each piece of clothes or accessory that I put together with the people here I think of many of the amazing people at home who will look great wearing it.
I am stoked to share them all!

My writing thus far has mostly been focused on the experiences, lessons, contemplation and evolution that foreign travel provides me.
My passion of foreign travel is one I hope others can also grow from.

As for the tangible goodies I hadn’t written so much about what I’m bringing back. But now I can’t contain myself…
There is so much fun stuff!
And I’m excited to see you wearing it.



As for leaving India…
I don’t feel so sad
Mostly because I have so much to look forward to at home.
But also because I know that I’ll be back again.

Bom!

********
photos are here

video is here

No comments: