Thursday, March 15, 2007

P.M.S.* in Nepal (*pretty mountain scenery)

In the same way that many Americans believe that Canada isn’t much different from the USA, I notice Nepal often described as a mountainous extension of India. But just as the red-faced Canadian with clenched fists will assert, these are two verrry different countries.

On the surface, yes most women wear traditional sari dresses and a bindi dot on most foreheads.

Buddhism and Hinduism are the predominant religions.

Nepalese printed language appears just like Hindi.

But the overall feel in Nepal is much more civilized…in so many ways.

There is chaotic traffic in the (clean) streets, but there is a noticeable sense of order. The business people seem sharper; and this creates more challenges in a dickering based shopping system when attempting to talk down prices. In addition, young women are more modern and hip. They are often seen out on dates with men and even being openly affectionate. They stroll along the streets of Thamel shopping alongside the tourists. And they’re even out at (gasp!) bars enjoying a beer.

The more orderly and professional standards here extend to restaurants. Since I arrived over a week ago I’ve been eating large quantities of excellently prepared healthy food. Based on my last visit to a scale, it appears it’s in my best interest to spend a week pigging out.

These qualities of Nepal attract its own breed of traveler. Here I am surrounded by the more clean-cut, hiking oriented traveler who is usually traveling in a group or as a couple. When traveling with an ex-boyfriend, I enjoyed my first visit to Nepal exponentially more so than my 2nd and current visits.

I am bored here.
Last year I was bored here.
My first trip here I was not bored because I
spent most of my time trekking.
So that is the lesson I have learned about Nepal.

The goods are in the treks.
To come and just chill....well, ho hum.
It is gorgeous gorgeous nature scenery and in the cities you don't get it like you do from the high elevation treks.

Though not trekking while being here can’t take all the blame. I just don’t find Nepal as interesting for a solo traveler. I have spent several days in a row only having conversations that are based on ordering a meal or declining offers (no rickshaw, no trekking guide and no, I don’t want to buy a squeaky high-pitched wooden violin.) And when smiling and in a respectful and friendly way declining the numerous offers, I was able to see another aspect of the Nepalese being more advanced in that they know the English phrases such as “Fuck you” and “you bitch”.

In summary,

I feel lonely in Nepal.

Though, it’s not right for me to put the blame on the place or the people.

Yes so much outward dynamics add influence to people’s emotions. However, ultimately it is most productive and accurate to identify the root of one’s own dynamic in the reactions and responses.

Are there expectations?

If so, then there is likelihood of disappointment.

Is there comparison with memories from the past?

The past ain’t now…

And if a person reaches for a memory to serve as an excuse or obstacle of what is preventing her contentment and happiness…well, this person can never be fully happy since change and individual evolution is inevitable. Things can never be just like the memory.

Is there comparison with other people’s situations?

Other people’s happiness is not for anyone but that individual. It is the chemistry and formula that will only work for that one person. Their situation and demeanor can provide inspiration, however.

But like a butterfly, the beauty and inspiration in the individualized formula for happiness cannot successfully be applied to another individual with equal success. Taking a butterfly and placing it into a jar never brings the same beauty as witnessed when free and applied to the original dynamic.

It’s important to identify right now in THIS moment what it is that makes YOU happy.

And for me, being in Nepal at this moment is not helping me in being happy.

I mean, it’s “ok” but my efforts to enjoy myself being thwarted repeatedly are signs enough that I should head elsewhere.

Why am I not so happy though?

Well it could be due to the p.m.s.

No, not the pretty mountain scenery.

It’s the monthly kind, that, for the sake of any male readers, I’ll just leave it at that.

A bout of loneliness in Nepal

Inspires my trek to the top of a soapbox

Looking outward

To find the beautiful butterfly

And realizing the best suited one flutters already

From within



photos are here

video is here