Monday, January 08, 2007

A Message from the Runic gemstones


The energy that had been building the week leading up to New Year’s Eve hit its peak in a huge way on the 31st.
I wandered out on to the beach to get some sun and chill out before the big night ahead. Moments after setting foot in the sand I saw an Indian man getting beaten by a mob of angry locals with large heavy sticks. I couldn’t believe it. It was completely brutal, so much so that I almost wanted to laugh out of confusion of how to react. There was even a tiny woman in a colorful sari who was actually striking some of the hardest blows. Ultimately the man ran with blood streaming from his head as about 100 onlookers watched.



Things were getting crazy in Anjuna, Goa.


It’s this way every year. Filled to the gills with every kind of tourist (well-to-do Indians on their New Year holiday, vacationers, families, backpackers, old skool hippies and last but not least, the ravers)... Anjuna has more intensity and energy than it knows what to do with.



The craziness begins early, as with this year and the article put out by the Jerusalem Post on December 14:



Rumors like this have circulated before the big day for years so I didn’t let this get me too worried. However, Anjuna is a scene which is normally dominated by Israelis and their absence is noticeable.


The most noticeable type of traveler here are the ravers, many of which travel to India, specifically Goa, and never venture onwards, outside of this bubble called Goa…which is in no way a representation of REAL India.

Sure it is fun and relaxing and I always begin my trips here, but the primary influence in Goa is the melting pot of all the countries represented. The visitors here outnumber the locals… which I believe gives people, who may otherwise feel intimidated by being a noticeable outsider, more comfort in being in such a foreign land. For me, I find starting my trip here to be a nice easing in for the stimulation of this amazing country that is still yet to come.


So…New Years Eve…
Wow.
Every person here was buzzing with an addictive anticipated excitement of the crazy celebration that lay ahead. THE NYE party takes place at Hilltop in Vagator. It is my favorite venue which hosts an outdoor clearing in a cluster of Palm trees. The best Psy-trance DJs from around the world play electronic music nonstop starting at sunset on the 31st and finishing at midnight the next day…
30 hours later.
Psy-trance in Goa is the kind of music that I have a difficult time sitting still and not dancing. What I find strange is that I’m not into this music genre at all when I’m back in the USA.
…and after my several hours of contemplating why, as I danced at Hilltop, I realized that it is this melting pot of people coming together from all over the world dancing that is just so damned cool.



Speaking of cool…
After the intensity of the New Year settled down a bit, I faced the music again, but this time with Shambu, the man I rented my scooter from. I didn’t want to have my bike wreck on my conscience by not coming clean with him, and the rattling of broken parts while I drove was a constant reminder anyway.


So 500 rupees and a half day later, voila! I was back on the streets, zipping around Anjuna with the ferocity of a geriatric person in a motorized wheelchair. Yeah, I was still gun-shy.



But after a few days passed I couldn’t get the bike started and Shambu wouldn’t help me, so I’m accepting this as a nice opportunity to get some exercise by walking, not to mention getting acquainted with every motor bike taxi man in town.


This cramps my image here a little bit as there is very much a SCENE in the Anjuna tri-plex:
Everybody speeding around on their scooters
Lots of dreadlocks
Lots of tattoos
Lots of tribal piercings
And the best of all…
Some verrrry fun fashions!


There are various themes in the styles and the ones I like best are the utilitarian look that has multiple pockets, zippers and functions. For example, a skirt that unzips and becomes a hip belt with pockets.
The other style I love here is the elfin/faery look. It goes well with the travelers who appear as if they’ve been wandering for years away from home.


I’ve had an incredible time making connections with several designers coming from all over the world. To bring back clothes from Goa, which are actually produced by a European designer, is right in line with the international scene here.


There are two markets, one during the day and one at night. They both have a different feel and sophistications but both are worth a trip even if you don’t plan to shop but prefer to people watch and see live entertainment.


When I visited the night market for the first time in 2001, I met an Englishman who creates the most fun, beautiful and mystical pendant and gem items. His work is what first inspired me to dream of importing items from India. I’m really excited to reconnect with him and be able to share his creations!
My favorite of his are the set of Runic gems. Each gem has a Rune symbol on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune




With the aid of a Runic Alphabet chart I was able to create and read a message for myself in the Runes. Without looking, I pulled three gems out of a pile and placed them face down in a row.


The one on the right represents my "situation". My gem was a turquoise which is the gem for "travel".


The middle gem represents a suggested action in this situation and mine was quartz crystal. This gem embodies "the self".


The leftmost gem is the outcome of this action in the situation and mine was a rose quartz,
which represents love.


This was an interesting message for me beacuase I had felt, thus far, that I had been too much following the outward intensity and not honoring myself in what I want to do. I often got caught up in the anxious "where’s the party?" frenzy that exists here.


My interpretation of the Runic message is that in my tavels I need to maintain MY path while being open to partnerships…with an end result of Love.


Well…hey…I better get crackin on this one because I’ve been feeling very shy and unable to connect with folks. But…what’s new??

Feeling disconnected is not a new scenario for me but in realizing what action I need to take I can make more of an effort even if unfamiliar, awkward or scary for me.


So, thank you Runic gems.
I now maintain my path’s direction
and am open to partnerships and friendships as they are available.


LOVE !

I'm making a move to Arambol today...in search of a more "chill" scene and connecting with more designers who live here.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Meredith!

Whoa! How intense. It makes me sick to watch someone get beat up in a movie, much less is person. How horrible! Why were they beating him up?

The rest of your New Years sounds like fun. Did you actually dance for 30 hours?

I didn't do much. I just played poker. But I won $80! Happy New Year to me!

I love your stories.

Later.
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Hi Dwan,

Great picture set...I had a moment of feeling like I was in the market with you. I am so happy that you are on this journey of abundance. Your site looks great and as usual your stories draw me into another world. I am excited to see what you bring back.

Missing you,
Narayani

Unknown said...

great post... well done.

wish I could be there partying on with ya!

Love,
brett