Monday, December 18, 2006

Looking back and bringing forward as my present

So here it is, six days until I will be in one of several queues at Portland International Airport.
I’ll be checking in with the airlines as I check in with myself and my flurry of emotions as I prepare for over 4 months of travel in the country I consider my second home: India.

This is my fourth time to embark on an extended journey overseas, and while in many ways I am totally comfortable with most of the logistics and miscellany of putting together a trip I am far from resilient of the anxiety and intensified emotions that come before each voyage. Part of this is because I sometimes let the norms of our society question me living a life where I diffuse my energy between two continents, cultures and friendships.

Another aspect of my emotions is because this trip, unlike the other 3, is my embarkation into creating a business with my travels. I have decided to take my love of creating my own fashions with items available in India into an import business: Dwanjabi. But this import endeavor will take you deeper than just providing merchandise…you will feel connected.

I notice imports, a dime a dozen, in markets and various shops. As beautiful and intriguing as all these items are, there is a limit to the bond you can have to them without knowing more about the cultures and people behind the creation of such items. This connection with fresh and unfamiliar styles is so much of the magic that allures travelers to foreign lands. The items I will have available each have a story. A tale to connect you to whatever it is that allured you…whether the initiation of your interest is the item itself or the story behind it.

A huge part of my process in travel is connecting with the people I meet, whether the locals or backpackers from around the world. Writing and photography are an amazing source for me to process the incredible characters and cultures I come across. My interpretations will expand the experience while profiling the items I will have for sale.

There are so many amazing, beautiful and colorful items that I find while on my journeys…of which I rarely, if ever, see here on my home shores. I don’t want to keep them all to myself so now I will be bringing them back to share.

In the meantime, I will be adding to this blog and photography on an (irregular) weekly basis. You are invited to join me cybernetically.



Looking back and bringing forward
contemplation of the
experiences and memories
That have created who I am
now
What I love to do
The knowledge of the “how”
Knowing how to do the things that bring me joy
And having it come naturally

I know that I am finally honoring my true path
And this has become clear as everything falls into place
The gray areas have cleared and I have faith that more of the unknowns will unfold in ways that are meant to be
There are struggles that I see not as barriers but aspects of my evolving into who I am
There are blessings in every hardship with the lessons that I learn

So, here it is…
NOW
So was yesterday
And so will be tomorrow

I have decided to grasp my life in its direction to create a full circle of my loves, nurturing my passions, talents and whatever latently propels me in directions I cannot foresee.
I prevent the potential regrets of not living in the way that stokes the fires that have just begun to ignite inside me.
I have peeled away many tightly wound layers that have been inflicted upon me…
And finally ready to fly

I have not been unaffected by fear of the heights I will go
The unknown is one of the scarier places to be
because ultimately fear is an anticipation of something we cannot grasp or rationalize. I understand this.
Yet
I will still fly
And have already begun to take off
And I look fear in the face so I can feel the wind in my wings






No comments: